1. Make the interior (and exterior) of your store as inviting as you can…
- A tidy store is a must. De-clutter! Remove anything that isn’t adding to your brand.
- Keep the decor, floors and windows clean. Ensure the flooring is suitable for you target customers. Try out different fragrances to keep the store smelling fresh.
- Make the most of the space you have but allow plenty of room for movement, remember your customers may have large trolleys or buggies with them. Don’t make them feel claustrophobic – sometimes there is commercial benefit to having empty space!
- Ensure you have good lighting that helps the customers navigate the store and highlights key promotions. Use lighting to draw them into the store, don’t have any dark corners!
- Use music to enhance the atmosphere – unless you are running a library a little background noise makes customers more comfortable to have conversations as they feel they are less easily overheard. Ensure your choice of music is relevant to your target customer AND make sure you’re not in breach of any public performance rights!